Seeking Mental Health & Addictions volunteers for Quality Improvement & Safety Committee (Cape Breton, Guysborough, Antigonish, and Strait areas)
Our health care system learns from your experience. Help us shape the future.
Nova Scotia Health Authority has made a commitment to involve citizens in establishing priorities and making decisions that matter to them and impact their lives, our community and the sustainability of our health care system.
Mental Health and Addictions in the Eastern Zone (Cape Breton, Guysborough, Antigonish, and Strait areas) is committed to providing excellent care for the patients and families living with mental health disorders and/or harmful substance use/gambling. We are looking for Patient and Family Advisors to provide input to our Interdisciplinary Quality Improvement and Safety Committee; this is a working group focusing on quality improvement projects.
We are seeking two (2) community-minded individuals to bring a patient and/or family/caregiver point of view and voice. The ideal person is someone who can use their experience as a patient or family member/caregiver to help shape the care we provide.
Those selected will have one or more of the qualifications below:
- Have personal or family/caregiver experience at Mental Health and Addictions in the Eastern Zone within the last 12 months.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Can look at issues from more than one point of view.
- Can share honest points of view in a respectful way.
- Can be reflective of diverse populations and perspectives in our community.
- Previous volunteer experience is an asset.
- Be interested in making a positive contribution to Mental Health and Addictions services and supports and the overall health care system.
- Sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Have, or be willing to obtain, a Criminal Background Check.
- Declare any potential conflicts of interest.
- Commit to the committee for two (2) years, meeting up to 10 times per year (meetings are typically 2 hours in length).
- Be available to attend daytime meetings in Sydney or Antigonish, or to join meetings by Lync/Skype for Business from a personal computer.
- Complete a volunteer services orientation.
Please note: These are volunteer positions. Successful candidates will be compensated for travel costs and parking only, where applicable. If this opportunity is of interest, please send a letter and/or resume telling us why you believe you should be selected to join our committee. NSHA employees and CHB members are not currently eligible to apply.
Applications can be emailed to Riley Francis at Riley.Francis@nshealth.ca or mailed to Riley’s attention at:
Mental Health & Addictions
23 Bay Street, 3rd Floor
Antigonish, NS, B2G1G7
The deadline for applications is June 9, 2017. Applicants selected for an interview will be called.